Monday, April 16, 2018

BBTB2: Cricut - Shirley's Craft Cottage Wooden Sign

My daughter's aunt by marriage sends the grandkids lots of homemade items and crafts.  She is a really special great aunt.   She even has an Etsy shop where she sells jewelry called ShirleyHawkCreations.  I have a few pieces and get lots of compliments.  I created a few signs in the last few weeks and wanted to share this one too.  I used a free SVG from a blog I saw on Pinterest (where else?) called "A Girl and a Glue Gun.com".  The SVG originally said "crafting is life", but I was able to reword it and put in "Shirley's Craft Cottage" using Cricut's Brush Script.   I want to use this file again and make myself a t-shirt.

The SVG was one color, and that just would not do.  Here is what I did.   I cut a piece of redwood to about 7.5" x 9.5" (fence board is 7.5" wide, that was my limit).  I lightly sanded the rough parts,  painted it turquoise, and let it dry.  Then I cut the SVG on my Cricut in vinyl (not mirrored).  I applied the vinyl using transfer tape.  I then painted the board white.  After it was almost dry, I peeled off the vinyl.  Little bits of the turquoise came off, but that added to the charm.   I then sanded the edges and lightly in the middle to give an aged effect.  I watered down acrylic paints and filled in with color.  After that dried, I then gave the entire piece a coating of washed light brown.  I really like how it turned out and I think this crafty friend will also.  .

I'm using this project as my design team entry for Bitten By the Bug2 this week.  Our challenge is to be creative with our die cuts - use them in unique ways, use embellishments on them, color them up, etc., almost anything goes.   Link up your project HERE at BBTB2.  Our talented hostess for the week is Laura from Handmade Papercrafts By Laura.



.

2 comments:

  1. This is fantastic - thank you for playing along with my challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really put alot of thought and work into this sign. What a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete