Monday, January 28, 2019

BBTB2: Cricut Dress Decor Designed by 7 year old

Hi all,   I would like to share a project that my 7 year old granddaughter and I made last week.  She did all of the designing, color choices, and loading of the Cricut.  I did the sizing and ironing.  It is a wonderful design, something that I would not have thought of.   I first asked her what design she wanted on her plain colored dress.  I suggested a Unicorn.  She said yes, then quickly changed her mind to 'flowers'.  She can scroll through Design Space flowers, which she did and picked two very different flowers.  She said she wanted 4 of this one and 1 of the other in the middle.  Very cleaver.  She then picked iron-on vinyl from my stash and we had this made in less than 45 minutes.

Our challenge at Bitten by the Bug2 these next two weeks is "Coming up Daisies/Flowers".  This project will fit the bill nicely.  I guess I can call my granddaughter a guest designer on my blog!  Link up your "flower" project at the Bitten by the Bug2 blog HERE.  You can use Pinterest, Flicker, blog, or Facebook to link back to your projects.   Have a great day!

Monday, January 21, 2019

Quilts: Bonnie Hunter's En Provence is DONE!

This quilt took me two years to make.  It has over 2,000 pieces, I lost count somewhere before I put on the two rows of borders.  It was a Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt.  She  starts with a list of colors an yardage an gives 'clues' every week for several weeks.  Clues are the 'parts' of the quilt, such as making half square triangles in purple and yellow and how many to make.  She teaches tips on cutting and sewing along the way.  Her instructions were easy to follow.  We don't know until the last week how all the pieces are going to finish up in the design.

I started on about week 2 of the mystery, but I couldn't keep up with those fast ladies who got their quilt pieces completed each week.  I actually let mine sit for several months before picking it back up and getting it done.   It went to the quilter in the next town over for longarm quilting.  This finished up in queen size and it is shown on my guest bedroom.  I'm really pleased with how it turned out.  It's my first really big, intricate quilt.  I will make matching quilt shams as my next project.

Reference:  for the pattern.
Quilting by:  The Mad Quilters, Dublin, CA
Material:  Scraps and a few purchases

Monday, January 14, 2019

BBTB2: Cricut Christmas Scene with Snowflakes and Toys

A visit to Santa where no one is crying?  This is a first for our grandkids.   I scrap this photo every year 1) so I won't lose it and 2) because it will be great to look back and see how they have grown.

Our Bitten by the Bug2 challenge for the next two weeks is themed "Snow".You can use several methods to link up your 'Snow' themed Cricut cut.  We now allow SVGs to be used on your project but they have to be cut with a Cricut machine.  Link up HERE to BBTB2.

 I had so many ideas going through my head for layouts, but I thought I'd better get this one done.  It came together really nicely.  The overlay of the night scene is purposely edged in a wonky fashion, not really my style, but I went with it.   I added the toys and bunny using the print and cut feature.  Stickles and inking used to highlight several areas.  I could have easily added a lot of toys and went wild.  The font is from  I put another Cricut font in the DS file so it will work correctly.

Cartridges Used:
Overlay:  Zooballo
Trees: Holly Jolly Christmas and Home Organization
Santa across the sky: T'was the Night Before Christmas
Toys and bunny: Santa's Village
Snowflakes: Very Merry Tags and Family Album

Monday, January 7, 2019

Quilts: A Christmas Present to Myself

I am sharing another quilt that I finished up right before Christmas.   This quilt was a block of the month that a friend and I started together back in 1999.   Yep - that long ago.  I'm happy to say she is still my friend, but has moved out of state.  The store where the pattern and material was purchased has long closed up, but they do quilt shows and retreats locally.

I hand cut each piece of material using the paper pattern provided.  The pieces were backed with fusible interfacing and ironed together.  I then almost lost a finger sewing a buttonhole stitch around each piece, sometimes going through 6 or more layers of fabric.  The embellishing with buttons and charms was the fun part.  I machine quilted using my own machine as the long arm quilter won't touch it with the embellishments.  I love how it finished up, but hate myself for taking so long to complete it.  I won't be giving this one away, and I'll proudly display it throughout the Christmas season.